Shady Sandow Crescent Reserve
A reserve upgrade in the City of Onkaparinga
In June 2016, the Coromandel Valley close-knit community helped shape the final concept designs for the Sandow Crescent reserve upgrade with the City of Onkaparinga.
This upgrade was to create a new play space for children and incorporating a shelter with picnic setting and adjacent landscaping and pathways. Funding for this space was approved and delivered in the 2019 year.
A Capricorn 5m x 5m shelter in anodised aluminium with high side screening and picnic setting using the Parkway seat, Access table and Boardwalk bench was selected as part of the project specification.
Outside Ideas was the successful contractor for this tender and they procured the products from Terrain Group with the assistance of our install team to erect the shelter.
These products will provide shaded picnic areas for users of the park and high quality, easy-clean furniture for years to come.
The maintenance required for the anodised aluminium furniture by council will be minimal from here forward. The anodised surface is an easy wipe clean finish and the aluminium structure will offer a strong, sturdy, low-maintenance shelter for years to come.
They jumped ship to live in Coromandel Valley!
Did you know that Coromandel Valley was named after the ship Coromandel, of some 662 tons, which arrived in 1837, and from which some of the crew fled to settle in the Mitcham hinterland.
In the early days Coromandel Valley stretched between the back of today’s Belair Railway station southwards to the incline from the Sturt Valley. The suburb of Coromandel Valley is now divided by the Sturt Creek which forms the boundary between the Cities of Mitcham and Onkaparinga. Within a month of official European settlement in SA, some of the crew from the ‘Coromandel’ jumped ship at Holdfast Bay and headed for the hills. Just exactly where they hid in Coromandel Valley, before giving themselves up after the ship had sailed, is folklore still debated.