An urban planner and a qualified dog behaviour trainer, Fiona De Rosa runs Balancing Act Adelaide consultancy.
Specialising in integrating companion animals into urban environments, Fiona has more than 20 years of experience in pet-friendly planning for public spaces, dog parks, aged care facilities and medium to high-density living.
We find out what it takes to create a Dog park that’s efficient, functional and perfect for both dogs and humans.
Here are Fiona’s 10 top tips for designing a Dog Park:
1. Design doesn’t have to be complex. Keep it simple and get the layout right.
2. Don’t copy the dog park down the road. The design of a fenced dog park should be tailored to the individual site conditions.
3. Break up the space with natural barriers. This prevents dogs from getting up to high speeds in the park.
4. Keep the entry and exit points free of clutter and amenities. This minimises congestion in these high-traffic areas.
5. Create active and passive zones. Don’t just build one flat, fenced-in area.
6. Get owners moving around with their dogs. Meandering walking paths encourage walking and reduces the chance they’ll stop in the one spot.
7. Think about the escape artists. Provide a double-gate system, with self-closing latches.
8. Provide more than one way of getting in and out. This minimises overcrowding in high-traffic areas.
9. Design the space to reduce potential conflict. Try and avoid creating spaces where dogs might get trapped
10. Make the space accessible. Consider people of all abilities in the design.
There are a number of products that are designed specifically for a dog park. Our Barron Fountain has a unique design and features that will water the grounds and refresh the visitors. Offering smart, clean domed lines, it can accommodate multiple tap options. A curved dog bowl at the bottom is perfect for a dog park.
Our new Dog Park entry shelter offers some shade, a leash and board to write any information on. This is specifically designed for a park visited by humans and dogs.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Terrain Group.